Sunday, January 11, 2009

Lenovo Ideapad S10 Review


I should say I was a bit skeptic when I first heard about netbooks because of there size and the processor in that I wasn't very happy with it. But then I heard about the lenovo S10 which had a 160Gb harddrive 1Gb or RAM. So I went to a shop to just do a trial run. Run a few applications and see how it will do under a lot of workload. Well to my suprise it did so well. I have a ASUS f3JC and home which have a Core2duo processor and 1Gb RAM and I can tell you the lenovo was right up there with it. Since its got Windows XP I think that helps quite a bit as Vista can be a memory drainer. I ran a few programs on the S10 and I also put on a streaming video from HULU.com which ran perfect no problems what so ever. I have had the S10 for about a week now and I'm really happy with it. It takes a bit of getting use to but once you get use to it it's just awesome. you woundn't have a clue whether your are using a less powerful processor unless you look at the sticker or the specs because it just keep up with you without a problem. I went and upgraded my RAM to 2gb just so I can make it a bit future proof. It already has a 160Gb harddrive which is plenty for now because I use a 500Gb external hardrive for most of my music and data backups. When you look at the s10 you won't think of it as a low budget netbook. Its got a very rich sleek finish and mind you it's one of the thinnest netbooks I have seen in the market at the moment. CES 2009 had a few new ones come out which are a bit sleeker but this just as good as any of them. Well thats my personal opinion. Ok looking at the specs it's got WIFI,ethernet, a 160Gb harddrive, 1Gb RAM, 1.6 Ghz intel atom processor. The U.S models does not come with bluetooth but I can be fixed to be in built bluetooth as the international models does come with it and you can get the bluetooth reciever from ebay for about $35 and its really easy to fix there is video about that on youtube so if anyone is interested they show just have a look at that. I personally don't use bluetooth that much and I just carry a bluetooth dongle with me which I had before. The screen is 10.2 inches and that has plenty of desktop real estate for all your portable needs. It can get a bit annoying and a bit of getting use to but a few days work will make it feel like home.

Overall I think this is a great netbook and I'm recomending it to anyone who needs a cheap ultra portable laptop. The usual ultra portables go for over $900 so if you are not a heavy video editor or graphics editor and use it only for the basic computer needs this is great.mesothelimoa

No comments: