Friday, October 23, 2009

Upgrade of Processor for Compaq Presario C700 (Hp Compaq c792vu)



I'm writing this post because there are so many people around stuck with a slow Compaq C700 which is a budget laptop but it can be actually upgraded, so that it would have the same specs as a high end laptop and the best part is it will cost you less that $300. Before anyone says anything regarding the price of the upgrade I'm assuming you have already bought the C700 laptop and has been using it for a while and you don't want to spend too much money buying a new laptop.
So after a lot of googling the best website I found with a lot of info is Overclockers.com.au they had a lot of info on which CPU is could use and all that. I just saw a post prior to writing this that someone had actually been successful in upgrading the ram to 4GB with a single 4GB stick which I cannot confirm just yet.
Memory Upgrade
At the moment I have gotten the memory up to 3GB ram with a combination of a 1Gb stick and a 2Gb stick. You will have to check which one need to go on the bottom one. I differs with the motherboard well atleast that's what I have read on the net.
Processor Upgrade
The processor I used was the Intel core2duo T5250 with is a 1.5Ghz processor as that was the budget i had then. It cost me AUD60 on ebay. At the time the more powerful 2.0Ghz was going
at AUD 150-AUD200 so I didn't wanna spend 140 bucks extra for .5Ghz but I might go for it in a few months. The process of taking apart the laptop its pretty easy. Anyone who has some experience in unscrewing a few screws and who has delicate hands can do this. I did this for the first time too. The only thing you have to be careful is all the little cables/ribbon cables which are under the keyboard which need to be pull out slowly and delicately. The other 2 cables were the wifi card cable which is easier to take off at the start when you remove the back cover. I realized it only later. Lastly pull out the dvd writer and the hard drive before you go deeper because they can be in the way when you get to the processor. Oh yeah lastly the hard part is you can't completely get the board off as there is a few cables which cannot be disconnected so you have to life the board up maybe get someone help you and then take the processor off by unscrewing the 4 screws around the processor and then lifting it out slowly. I have posted some screen shots on here. Have a look at the end result. I haven't really seen a difference in the battery life or the temperature but it sure is way faster.mesothelimoa

1 comment:

Diego said...

Thank you for this upgrade information it has cleared and allowed me to keep this laptop instead of upgrading it.
Im not into throwing things away specially after seeing the amount of E waste our 3rd world brothers and sisters are poisoned with. No jokes Ive become totally self-conscious in a more sustainable life.
Is it possible you can tell me if I can use a 10w of other low power processor like a U or SU type processor? also whats the max FSB speed I can run eg 667, 800mhz or do I have to stick to 533? I suppose youve tried 667 so its possible? Reason Im after low power cpu is I will also run an SSD hdd to be able to run off the grid using solar power. Im sick of bilss eg Gov squeezing, sucking everyone to misery.